Curd vs Yogurt vs Greek Yogurt

Confused Between Curd, Yogurt, and Greek Yogurt?

Many people mix up curd, yogurt, and Greek yogurt, they look similar but differ in texture, nutrition, and preparation. Choose based on your health goals and needs.

Curd

Also called dahi, it’s usually made at home by curdling milk with naturally occurring Lactobacillus species. It has a creamy texture and tangy flavor. Each 100g serving provides about 3.5g of protein.

Yogurt

Made by fermenting milk with specific bacteria like Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus. It offers a smooth texture and mild-to-tangy flavor. Each 100g has 4-5g of protein.

Greek Yogurt

This starts like regular yogurt but strains out the whey (liquid), making it thicker. It uses L. bulgaricus and S. thermophilus, often with added strains. Expect a dense texture and tangy taste, plus 8-10g of protein per 100g.

Protein Comparison

Greek yogurt > yogurt > curd.

https://www.ndtv.com/health/yogurt-vs-curd-key-difference-between-bacterial-strains-explained-11350490

Which do you prefer: homemade curd (dahi), store-bought yogurt, or creamy Greek yogurt? Share why in the comments

MBH/PS

3 Likes

I prefer store bought yogurts as the taste is fine and and it’s ho well with fruits and salad .

1 Like

I prefer curd :thinking: over yogurt as it can be easily made at home and offers greater variety of probiotics. But as rightly quoted by doc @Sadia , Yogurt being commercially produced using specific lab bacterial strains offers higher protein concentration and is easier to digest than curd.

Making a well-informed decision about what we consume is a must. Thanks a lot for this informative post. :+1: :white_check_mark: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Informative post.

I prefer home made curd (dahi) as

  • It’s freshly made
  • It’s taste is good when consumed before it starts getting tangy.
  • It doesn’t have any added preservatives.
  • Compared to yogurt and Greek yogurt protein content is low but we can add other food items in our diet to complete the total protein need in our body.
1 Like

Thankyou @PriyaRavichandran18

1 Like

Yes, definitely @Pm123

Yes, definitely choice depends on our needs @Dhruvi86_21

Informative post. I prefer curd from dairy due to its affordability and being less processed.

1 Like

I prefer homemade dahi beauz i always feel store dahi taste something different which is not suite my tastebud.

1 Like

That’s nice @Anushree_Poojari2025

:+1: @Ankita25

Great comparison . I personally prefer home made curd as it offers variety of benefits. It is good for gut health and is most accessible probiotic for daily use.

Informative. I prefer homemade curd- Dahi, because it is freshly prepared without adding preservatives, and its taste is good when we compare with store bought yogurts.

I make fruit yogurts at home, which is tasty and healthy as well.

Everything is infact nutritious and choosing the right one depends on our body needs

Helpful comparison. While all three can be part of a healthy diet, the best choice often depends on the goal. Homemade curd is widely accessible and culturally familiar, yogurt offers standardized fermentation with specific bacterial strains, and Greek yogurt stands out for its higher protein content and satiety. Rather than asking which is “healthiest,” it may be more useful to consider which best fits an individual’s nutritional needs and preferences.

I prefer home made dahi
yogurts sometimes taste too sweet

I prefer store-bought yogurt; it tastes better and has a great texture when compared to homemade curd, and it also has a thicker consistency. However, I also feel skeptical about the quality of milk used in the process and how genuine the entire process is, because I keep hearing stories about the prevalent usage of milk powders in the curdling process.

Homemade curd (dahi) for me! It contains live beneficial bacteria that support gut health, aid digestion, and may help maintain a balanced gut microbiome. Plus, it’s fresh and minimally processed