Sometimes when I look at my life in reverse, I catch myself thinking about the situations I stayed in far longer than I should have, ones that didn’t really serve me. There’s deep regret that comes with that realization.
It makes me wonder why, in personal or professional life, we stay in situations that clearly hurt us.
Maybe it’s because people often know something isn’t right, but feelings don’t switch off instantly. Even unhealthy relationships can feel known and therefore safer than the uncertainty of leaving.
Time and effort already spent can make it harder to step away, as it would mean all of it was wasted.
Sometimes we’re made to believe that we are the cause of the problem, that our desire to leave is unreasonable.
All of this, over time, can blur our sense of what’s actually fair and acceptable. The real struggle isn’t just leaving. It’s facing the emotions that make staying feel justified.
What do you think plays the biggest role: emotional attachment, fear of the unknown, time invested or self-doubt?
MBH/PS