Sometimes, out of nowhere, I find myself missing my college days, and my mind instantly takes me to the epicenter of all college activities: the canteen.
The tea back then tasted better than any fancy coffee. We’d sit with friends, sipping slowly, talking endlessly, while the world outside seemed to pause. We’d laugh until our stomachs hurt, share notes five minutes before exams, and skip that one boring class just to spend more time there. Those hours felt lighter and infinitely more alive. We talked about our future plans, fears, and shared all the latest gossip. Even sitting together doing absolutely nothing carried a quiet magic.
Years have passed. Everyone is busy now. Some have moved to different cities, some got married, and some have vanished into demanding jobs and responsibilities. Our conversations have become shorter, meetups rarer, and those once vibrant group chats now lie mostly silent. The friendships that once felt permanent have slowly turned into beautiful memories saved in old photos.
Adult life has given me stability and growth, but it has also brought a strange, quiet loneliness. I miss the ease of simply sitting with people who knew the real me.
That’s why that humble cup of canteen chai still lingers in my heart. It wasn’t just tea. It was warmth, laughter, friendship, and a kind of innocent joy I haven’t found since.
Reading this post made me feel nostalgic. I used to spend hours with my best friend after rigorous clinical postings. We used to hang out in our university canteen and drink fresh fruit juice twice every week; that was our little ritual. Now she is in a different country, busy with her life, and I’m busy with mine. I’m going to call her today and tell her how one post I read today reminded me of her. So thank you for sharing this!
I truly relate to this. My college days ended a few months back, and I’m still trying to adjust to a new schedule. I never thought I would miss that place this much, but I think it’s not really about the place it’s always about the people and the memories
This really hit home. It’s funny how we never realized those ordinary moments would become our most treasured memories. Sometimes, I don’t miss college itself—I just miss the people, the laughter, and the feeling of having nowhere important to be.