Mental health awareness needs more than just talk

Mental Health awareness and well-being are among the most discussed topics now. But, are we still ready to open up and seek therapy when needed?

When someone says they want to seek therapy, the first reaction often is a shock or surprise. “Why do you need therapy?” Yet, when we have any physical illness, we rush to doctors because we know it’s needed for the body. Well, the same goes here, right, except this is for the mind.

Therapy is a form of professional support for your mental health and well-being. When you are emotionally disturbed or need support, struggling with stresses from your day-to-day life. From children to adults, anyone can seek therapy.

More than awareness for mental well-being, I believe awareness of “what therapy is and when it is needed “should be discussed more.

Why is therapy still being stigmatised? Share your thoughts.

What’s actually harder to admit?

  • Telling that ‘I am not okay’ and I need help
  • I thought I would handle it alone, but I couldn’t
  • I need a therapist
0 voters
1 Like

Informative.

1 Like

This is the topic which needs to be addressed. Mental health is often taken for granted, when someone says they are not feeling good it is often overlooked as they just need some rest or generalised as it is a common which everybody experiences and need not be taken seriously. That’s why mental health awareness is very important where atleast one can help themselves by contacting a therapist.

In my point of view, the initial phase of identifying something is wrong and asking for help is very difficult.

1 Like

We still carry the stigma of going to therapy. Psychoeducation can be helpful when it comes to what therapy is. and when it is needed? A person can go for therapy for various reasons, not just any form of psychiatric reasons, but for learning basic emotional regulation skills or even conflict resolution in relationships. Seeking therapy needs to be normalised in Indian Society. As a person may seek therapy for different reasons.

1 Like