Food Neophobia the fear for unfamiliar foods

Have you heard about Food Neophobia ?

Food Neophobia is the condition where a person avoids to eat or try new food or we can say that reluctant to try unfamiliar food.

For example, we know that tofu is very nutritious but have never been exposed to its texture or taste. When you try for the first time you will be like i don’t like it but with the help of mere exposure effect you can change this.

Mere Exposure effect is a psychological phenomenon where you used to develop a preference for unfamiliar things, habits or anything due to its repeated exposure.

According to Mere Exposure Effect, repeated exposure of an unfamiliar food can develop familiarity and acceptance. So if you are new to tofu, trying and eating tofu for atleast 4 to 5 times repeatedly can help you incorporate it in the category of your familiar foods.

You have to try the foods that you don’t like atleast for 4-5 times before you make an opinion about it.

Have you experienced Food Neophobia ever? Will you try this method ?

MBH/PS

2 Likes

I am always reluctant to eating mushrooms because of their spongy texture. Reading this post, I realize that I had experienced food neophobia towards mushrooms.

The 4-5 times rule is such a practical tip- I’ll try it with foods I’ve been avoiding.

I haven’t faced this but it will be so sad if people couldn’t taste all the wonderful food that we have on the planet

Yes this happens to me. I do not like mushrooms at all just by their appearance, but once I had tried it and they tasted fine to me. I would surely try the method suggested by you and see if my perception changes!