What Makes a Healthcare Worker Memorable to Me?

I have met many healthcare workers over the years, but a few truly stayed with me. What is so special about these “few” individuals that makes them unforgettable?

I strongly believe that how we remember people depend entirely on how they treat us.

For me, the healthcare providers whom I never forget are those who treated me well. Here, don’t relate the word ‘treat’ with medications or procedures. What I actually refer here is the way a patient is welcomed; how the doctor/nurse talk and respond to the patient.

From my perspective, I never forget doctors and nurses who greet with a warm smile and listen with patience to my concerns. A comforting smile from the doctor the moment I walk into the room, eases my anxiety right away. Furthermore, when the doctor listens attentively without even a hint of judgment or mockery, it reassures me that I am in a safe space where I can freely ask questions. This quality is what makes a practitioner truly approachable and memorable for patients.

​Another quality of a memorable healthcare worker is explaining a painful procedure in a way that never raises fear. This makes me more comfortable and helps manage my fear.

Final thoughts

I’d like to summarize the qualities of a memorable healthcare worker using the acronym CALM:

C → Comforting

A → Approachable

L → Lending an ear

M → Motivating patient recovery

What other qualities have made healthcare workers memorable to you? Share your thoughts below.

MBH/AB

4 Likes

Whenever a healthcare worker talks calmly and listens to our concerns, it is always reassuring. Their body language also plays a major role in it. They way they smile or greet us makes the first impression unforgettable. First impressions stay with us and tend to shape our future assumption about the healthcare worker.

1 Like

especially value those who communicate respectfully, listen carefully, support their colleagues and consistently put patient’s needs first.

1 Like

You have accurately summarized the qualities that make a healthcare worker memorable. I remember a general medicine doctor I was shadowing, she was a mother to 2 young children but she patiently explained everything to patients. Despite the time constraint to spend on one patient, she made sure the message and all the information was clear. She wasn’t afraid to double check medications or any other information and actually tried her best to do the best for patients. She would recheck on ward patients before going home and patients had to be transferred she also gave them her number in case they had any doubts/ needed help. Anyone can be a good healthcare professional after getting their degree but it requires some extra skills to be a great one

1 Like

Absolutely true.A degree won’t alone define a good healthcare professional, extra skills are needed

1 Like

Absolutely agree. Healthcare is not only about diagnosis and treatment but also about empathy and communication. A healthcare professional who listens without judgment, explains clearly, and makes patients feel safe can leave a lasting positive impact. CALM is a meaningful way to capture these qualities.

1 Like